Tuesday 2 February 2010

Welcome

Hey ya'll welcome to a Mostly Vegetarian Cooking blog!

This blog will not necessarily be instructive. I may not post recipes (especially if they're not mine!). It's just going to be a record of what my husband and I eat on our (mostly) vegetarian diet and the compromises you make when one person in a couple is vegetarian and one is most decidedly not!

Here are the bare bones details:

***My husband--we'll call him The Economist--has been a vegetarian for almost 8 years. He is a vegetarian for moral purposes. He is not vegan, and is not considering being one.

***I am not, nor have I ever been, a vegetarian. I do not have any moral problem with eating meat. If I ever stopped eating meat, it would be over the issue of the sustainability of meat production, rather than any concern about the liberty or sanctity of animal life.

***On this blog, I do not wish to engage in a debate about which one of us is right. We are what we are and we don't judge each other for it! Also, that's boring. Nor do we evangelize on either side! You just be who you are and we'll be who we are, kay?

***We do not generally use meat-substitute products such Quorn and we do not eat tofu. We decided a long time ago that we did not like eating something trying to pretend it's meat. There are plenty of nice tasty vegetables and plenty of ways to cook them up. The closest we get is veggie burgers, rarely, and we prefer the kind with plain food items such as beans, onions, etc.

***We do not try to eat organic or local. I don't want to get into a debate about why. The gist is that we do not notice a significant difference in taste. Also organic is not as beneficial to the environment as it should be. We are also aware that African and developing world economies are working hard to diversify. Many of them are trying to break into tough agricultural markets and we want to support them.

So those are the rules. Let's begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment