Wednesday 24 February 2010

Potato Curry and fried eggs

Okay, this is going to be good.

I can't claim 100% credit for this, but I think I can claim around 60%. I've been making curried potatoes for years. The Economist and I usually eat it with rice, but eventually realised we were pretty much bombarding ourselves with carbs. We stopped eating it for a while, but recently I found a Nigella Lawson recipe of a type of potato curry served with... wait for it... a fried egg, dipping the spicy potatoes into the runny yolk. I'm a big fan of anything that requires dipping into runny egg yolk. Add to these positives the fact that this is quick, easy and absolutely delicious. PLUS, totally vegetarian. PLUS PLUS it's made from staples you usually just have on hand, so no special shopping trips for this. Let's get into it.

It's pretty simple: potatoes, eggs, garlic (or garlic paste as I have here), and curry powder. If you've got it, fresh parsley, coriander or any other fresh herbs really make it.


Chop the potatoes into bite size pieces and put in a pot of cold water. Rinse the potatoes once, then refill the pot with cold water, set it boiling and cook until the potatoes are cooked through but still holding their shape. Should take about 15 minutes.


Drain the potatoes and keep them on standby while you prepare the spices.


Put a few good glugs of olive oil in big wide frying pan. Add your garlic, whatever form you use. If it's raw, let it soften a bit to take away the edge.


This curry powder is a special mix my mom makes. She gave me a big bag at Christmas and I put some into an empty jar. I use 2-3 teaspoons for a full pan of curry. It's pretty strong and spicy. If you don't make your own curry powder (who does? I don't, I got it from my mom after all) just experiment a bit adding different spices, including chili powder (important for a hot curry), ground coriander, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc, etc. whatever you want. I like it hot.


Lovely brick red. At the same time, add some salt. Okay, lots of salt. These potatoes need lots of seasoning.


Add the potatoes, which will hopefully have steamed off any extra liquid and stir gently to coat.


So golden and delicious. I can't ever keep myself from eating a bunch before I'm even done with the rest of the meal. Cover the potatoes and put them aside while you cook the eggs.


Just fry them up in a separate pan. Season with salt and tons of pepper.


Add the herbs and enjoy. The spicy, grainy potatoes are delicious alongside the accompaniment of the bland, sort of buttery eggs. Mm-mm, so good.


RECIPE PROFILE
Recipe Type: Dinner
Vegetarian Classification: Vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment