Saturday 13 March 2010

Electric Goat

Here is a relatively quick and easy snack. I ate something similar at a restaurant in my hometown and this is the first time I've tried to re-create it. It's called, provocatively, Electric Goat. It's simply goat's cheese in a spicy tomato sauce, baked; and served with toasted slices of baguette.

Having some leftover goat's cheese is a good start to this recipe. The tomato sauce is pretty quick and easy to whip up: bit of tomato sauce, some garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper; simmer for 10-15 minutes; voila!
This is a terribly out of focus picture of the tomato sauce I made for our electric goat.
Pour it into a small baking dish. I wish I had a pretty ceramic ramekin or tart pan. Unfortunately all I have is this circular cake layer tin. Such is life.
My leftover chunk of goat's cheese. I used the other half making some macaroni and cheese. That recipe might be forthcoming.
Plop that thing in the middle here and toss it into a hot oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melting and oozing.
A bit of baguette leftover from a bacon sandwich I had earlier in the day. I will miss fresh baguettes when I move away from Europe.
Slice the baguette as thinly as you can on a diagonal. Toast them either in a toaster or, if you're not lazy like me, under the broiler.
Then rub the toasted bread lightly with a fresh clove of garlic. Don't overdo it because raw garlic is quite sharp.
Here are all my toasted and rubbed pieces.
Here is the cheese and sauce.
Use a knife or fork to scoop sauce and cheese onto each piece of bread and give it a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment