Sunday 7 March 2010

Roast Veggies, British-Style

Here is a super-carby and super-satisfying side dish. It is essentially a bunch of cut up root vegetables. But, it's British-style, by which I mean it uses a lot of traditional British produce which perhaps wouldn't habitually make it onto an American plate. It's a warm and filling side to eat along with leftover meats or whatever you have.
Use whatever you have around. I had a lot of stuff laying around. I used some new potatoes, a sweet potato, some leftover butternut squash, and a red onion. I also have baby carrots, but usually I like to use whole chantenay carrots, which are gorgeous and make the whole thing look rustic and homey. Another traditional British element is parsnip. I used to hate parsips, now I quite like them. (Try roasting them glazed with maple syrup--yum, they're like candy.) I also have a leek. At first, this seemed kind of strange but trust me on this, they're so good when they're roasted and sweet.
Put a good couple of glugs of olive oil in a sheet pan. Sprinkle it with the seasonings so it's easier to coat things evenly later. Here I have seasoned everything with dried sage and parsley, salt and pepper. Cut all the veggies into roughly evenly sized pieces. Put in the oven at about 350F or 170C for half an hour.
After half an hour, take the pan out, gently turn the veggies and put it back in for another 20 minutes.
By now things will be caramelised and sweet.
I had this as a side dish to some roast chicken thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment